Saturday, April 23, 2011

Eggs, Peeps, and Easter!

As a missionary, this is a special time of year.  It's a special time of year for much of the world, but it's taken on a whole new meaning as I experience Easter on the mission.

 I'm sure we all have happy Easter memories.  When I think of Easter, I can't help but think of colorful faux grass, atomic yellow marshmallow peeps, and newly dyed eggs strewn about my grandma's yard.  I remember the pungent smell of the vinegar in the dye as we each made our own, special eggs to be included in the ensuing hunt.  Best of all, I remember the almost Christmas-esque feel of finding a basket on Easter morning, filled with all kinds of awesome candies, treats, and maybe even a movie or game.  Indeed, it almost felt sometimes like a spring version of Christmas!

 Now, not too many years later, I reflect on how that is true, but in a much different way.  Just as Christmas is a holiday truly meant for remembering the birth of our Lord and Savior, carrying with it the hope He brought to the world as the bright and morning star, so is Easter a celebration of the other pinnacle of Christ's life: His death, yes, but also His resurrection.
 I realize now, at least, a little more, the true import of this day.  Christmas is a celebration of the birth of our Savior, but Easter is a celebration of His mission being fulfilled.  With the resurrection came an end to death as we knew it, both spiritual and physical. This is a day of celebration for the Atonement of Jesus Christ. It is a holiday of death turning to life, marked by nature itself radiantly bursting forth from the cold and weary winter that once held it bound.

 My easter wish for the world is that we might remember the Way, the Truth, and the Life of the world.  Just as with His Atonement, it isn't just His day.
 It's for all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment