Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The road To, or Of, conversion?

 We had the wonderful opportunity and blessing of seeing a young man named Chris' baptism on Saturday; it was an amazing day for everyone involved.  As we watched him dress in his white jumpsuit and, eventually, go under the water, I pondered on the quiet beauty of these moments.  Before someone enters into the waters of baptism, some might feel that they need to "know" everything to be eligible.  People get too caught up in thinking that "conversion" is a destination; a point they will reach when they finally know everything.
 Wrong!
 If that were true, there would not be a single member of this church!  I certainly don't know everything about our God's plan for us, and all the minutia of the scriptures and commandments we are given.  I don't know everything about church history, repentance, or the Atonement.  I don't even know everything about programming VCR's. What I don't know could (and probably does) fill the library of congress.  What I do know is that I have a Father in Heaven who loves me and you very dearly, and we have a Savior who died so that we could return to Him.
 Conversion isn't about how much you know, it's about what you know, and acting on it.  I don't expect I'll ever attain the title of "fully converted" in my life, and neither will you.  Conversion is a road that we must all traverse, through night and day, sun and rain, until, finally, we meet our Savior waiting for us at the end. If we endure this road, believing and trusting that we will reach the end, we will find ourselves at the last day altogether with our Savior, and all our brothers and sisters who walked the road with us.
"Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain."
-1 Corinthians 9: 24

2 comments:

  1. I loved what you said about how its not how much you know, but what you know and do with that knowledge! that is so true! i dont know much but i to know that my Heavenly Father loves me and everyone that I come into contact with! great post Elder Williams!~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I just wanted to make note that I know for 100% what you said is true. We won't be "fully converted" until we fall at the Saviors feet. But we must take joy in the journey and find the pearl of great price in what we are doing today. Thank you for sharing this great insight.

    ReplyDelete