Friday, July 8, 2011

Imagination!

The other morning, as I was thoroughly enjoying a romp through the scriptures in my personal study, I came across a verse that spoke to my heart and captured my mind:
 "...he shall mount up in the imagination  of his thoughts as upon eagles' wings."

 Now, anyone who knows me is aware that I have been blessed with an abundance of imagination.  In some cases (usually during classes involving Algebra), I have a bit too much imagination, which often results in odd comments, excessive doodling, and apologies to teachers (and, occasionally, mission presidents) that I had not been paying attention and did not, in fact, hear the question.
 Although these are definite drawbacks to having an overactive imagination, I have a special place in my heart for the ability to ponder, wonder, and create, all within the confines of our own craniums.

 What would reading be like if we could not picture the words coming to life in our minds?  What would sleeping be like if we didn't have the wondrous (and sometimes, profoundly random) dreams that fill the space between dusk and dawn?  What would living be like if we could not dream, hope, and conceive?
 That I don't want to imagine.

 As I pondered (wooh!!) upon this subject, I realized that our Heavenly Father must have the greatest imagination of all.  I mean, all things on this earth and in the universe only came to be because He created it. "For I, the Lord God, created all things...spiritually before they were naturally upon the face of the earth."  Before we do anything, we have to think it first.  That is the beauty of the imagination: it is the laboratory inside all of us where we test, hypothesize, reject, or create.  Any idea must go through this cerebral crucible before it comes to life through or words or actions.  Through this, we learn what works, and what doesn't work.  We grow and progress, our thinking improves, our logic sharpens, our capacity to create expands.  We learn from failed ideas, and revel in successful ones.  When asked about his eventual success at creating the lightbulb, Thomas Edison said, "I have not failed 10,000 times. I have
successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."
 In the profound words of Dr. Seuss, "Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try!"
 The imagination is truly a wondrous gift from a very creative Father.  I believe we could all stand to devote a little more time to pondering and dreaming! As we do so, we follow in the footsteps of Him who imagined up everything.
  Then perhaps we, too, may "mount up...as upon eagles wings" in worlds of our own creation.

4 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure I've got the least creative/imaginitive brain ever, but that doesn't stop me from daydreaming. It's just mostly about mundane things, like paper. And it's just not cool to draw a piece of paper on a piece of paper. Yeah, life wouldn't be anywhere near as fulfilling without our imaginations. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You DO have an intense imagination. Between you and my companion, I get a little overwhelmed sometimes. But that makes life all that more enjoyable :D What do you think is the coolest thing that God "imagined"?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katrina, HEY! Just cause you didn't get as into raptor keep away as some of us.... Actually, I am extremely grateful for the gift of imaginations. There's no way to even describe my childhood without talking about all the "make-believe" games we played.
    Coolest thing God imagined? Probably ice cream. It's cold, creamy, delicious, and can be colorful fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The coolest thing that God imagined... is probably the human body. I mean, it's just an ingenious, beautiful thing! The nervous system, immune system, digestive system, all working in harmony. :) So yeah, the human body. Or the platypus. It's a tie.

    ReplyDelete